26 Ways To Heal A Broken Heart
Articles Inspirational articles from Hay House authors
26 Ways To Heal A Broken HeartPiece your broken heart together with these tips from Rebecca Campbell
Rebecca Campbell More by this author
Relationships are the number one way we grow as souls and heartbreak has got to be the most challenging.
Below is a list of my top ways to heal a broken heart. If you’re recovering from the end of a relationship, or any ending that has cracked you open, I hope these suggestions help.
1. Remind yourself that your soul is growing in leaps and bounds. Our soul grows the most when it is cracked open. The more pain you are in right now, the bigger the opportunity for growth. Even though it hurts know that it is through the cracks that your soul can step forward and sometimes, even though it doesn’t feel like it, our suffering happens for us not to us.
2. You are already in the most important relationship of your life. You were born in it and you will die in it. All of your future relationships will be a mirror for it. Spend this sacred time working on the relationship you have with yourself as an investment for future relationships.
3. Feel it all. In order for healing to happen, you need to feel your feelings instead of push them. If you have kids or a job that requires you to get on with things and need to switch off your feelings, put aside at least 10 minutes each day to let your feelings bubble up without judgment. Journaling can help this. Plain old crying is good too.
4. Absolute Rose Oil is A-MAZING for a heavy heart. You’ll only need the tiniest bit on your finger (less than a drop). Massage onto the front and back of your heart, solar plexus and throat every morning. It’ll encourage your heart to stay open instead of closing up.
5. Buy yourself flowers. Pink roses (in particular peonies) are the best healers. I think they might actually have magical powers. Watching them courageously open and then open some more will encourage your heart to do the same. Surround yourself with them. If you can only afford one stem, put it by your bed or on your desk and let this beautiful gift from nature work its magic.
6. Surround yourself with rose quartz. Like rose oil this baby is great for protecting your heart in a strong yet gentle way. Put it under your pillow while you sleep, on your bedside table, on your window sill, on your desk at work, get a rose quartz pendant to hang near your heart. When anyone of my friends goes through a dark night of the soul, rose quartz is one of the first things I give them.
7. If it makes you too sad, don’t force yourself to spend time with loved up couples
8. Put your passion into a passion project. Endings are invitations for new beginnings. If you have something you’ve always wanted to do, create or share, now’s the time to throw yourself into it. The best creations were born out of a seeming loss.
9. Lovables list. Write a list of all the things that are awesome about you. At the top of the page write “Rebecca’s (insert name here) Lovables”. Number 1-20 and fill it out. Read your Lovables daily. Especially when doubting or feeling sorry for yourself.
10. Listen to this podcast:
11. Get a yourself a nanna blanket. Do not underestimate the power of this one. I bought myself a second hand baby pink hand made vintage nanna blanket from Columbia Rd flower markets in London several years back. Wrapping myself in it was so nurturing and healing. Inner child central.
12. Turn your bedroom into a sacred place. Go to sleep with the warm light of electronic candles, fairy lights and essential oils on your pillow. And when you do, stretch out and relish in all of that extra space.
13. Remind yourself that your heart is elastic. The more it is stretched now through this difficult time, the more love it will be able to receive in the future.
14. Breathe deeply. When our body is in shock or severe grief we stop breathing. It’s our body’s way of shutting down and rejecting what we are experiencing. Call back in life force by opening your mouth as wide as possible and breathing a deep breath to the bottom of your belly. Repeat. One breath at a time. Try Transformational Breathing or Angelic Breathing.
15. Light Source. Transform your heartbreak into higher love with the power of Light Sourcing. Be held by the support of the Universe, download a free mp3 here.
16. Ask for support. Your best friends will want to support you but most won’t know how. Instead of waiting for them to read your mind, get clear on what you need to feel supported and speak up.
17. Get mad. If you feel rage, express it. Scream, kick, write, do whatever you need to get the anger out. Anger is a good sign. It means the emotion is moving.
18. Create a Spotify playlist and dance it out (I recommend Florence, Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Fleetwood, Janis and Alanis). If a love song comes on, sing it to yourself.
19. Don’t rush into anything. The person you will attract now will be completely different to the person you will attract when you are in a good space and love yourself completely. Don’t cling to someone because you feel like you need to be in a relationship. Instead, consider healing that part of you that believes it needs someone/something in order to feel whole.
20. 'I love me' ring. Buy yourself a ring that symbolizes the love you have for yourself, or hope to have with yourself. You could even write vows to yourself and your healing. Think of it as a union with your soul. A-freaking-men!
21. Get hugged. We are pack animals, we are not meant to go at it alone. When a relationship ends one of the things we lose is the constant human touch. When your friends and family ask you what they can do, instead of answering ‘nothing’, ask them for a hug. It makes a difference. If you can’t think of anyone to hug, hang out with a kid and ask them for one. They give the best hugs ever!
22. Book a massage. If you can’t get yourself hugged, get yourself a massage. When I broke up with my ex I was living on the other side of the planet away from my family and friends. Because getting hugs was harder than normal I booked myself a massage every Saturday. Bliss.
23. Have a bubble bath every night. Fill it with luxurious essential oils like ylang ylang, 500g of Epsom salt (you can buy this from your local independent pharmacy) and rose petals (these don’t have to be new, a week or so old is perfect that way you get to enjoy them first).
24. Give yourself what you wish someone else would give you. Do things and go places that you always wanted to but your ex never did. Anything from ordering from the organic vegan place up the road to a spiritual pilgrimage to Peru. Do all this while listening to Queen’s ‘Don’t stop me now’.
26. Get to know yourself. The secret blessing about breakups is that they are actually an invitation to work on the most important relationship you will ever have… The relationship with yourself. Take yourself to dinner, the movies or cook yourself your favourite meal. Learn to enjoy your own company. If you do, everyone else will too.