6 Tips For Growing Older Without Aging
Articles Inspirational articles from Hay House authors
6 Tips For Growing Older Without AgingHow You Can Heal From Within To Become Ageless
As children we’re fascinated by our bodies’ ability to heal a scraped knee or broken bone. But as adults, we often forget about our bodies’ remarkable capacity for self-repair. That is primarily because Western medicine takes a pathology approach to health – meaning we have been taught that we have to look for and fight off “invaders,” including our own genes!
Listen to this clip from my 2016, Hay House World Summit talk and then sign up here listen to the entire conversation FREE until May 26th, 2016.
There is no doubt that Western medicine can be very useful in addressing certain acute conditions such as when you break your arm or get a concussion. And, I’m a huge fan of Western medicine’s ability to replace a worn-out hip. Plus, when an illness is life threatening, you want to be able to access the best medical tests and treatments available. However, most medical problems are not acute. They develop over time after a long process that we can actually intervene with at any point. But, most of us have been taught to overlook our innate ability to intervene and heal. As Myron Wentz, Ph.D., a world-renowned microbiologist, puts it, “We die too long and live too short.”
Learn ways you can grow older without aging in my free video series.
Being an Ageless Goddess means turning this norm of “dying too long” on it’s head. That’s why I want to share with you my secrets for how you can reclaim the wisdom and power of the healer within you and start living vibrantly at any age.
The Causes of Health
If you look at the so-called Blue Zones around the globe, such as Okinawa, Japan, and Ikaria, Greece—places with unusually high concentrations of healthy older people, first identified by explorer and traveler Dan Buettner—you find that ill health isn’t the norm. Yet, most of us share a culturally-supported belief that disease and infirmity are inevitable as we age. What our culture doesn’t teach us is that diseases don’t just appear out of nowhere. They are the final result of a process that takes time to develop. And it is well-documented that every disease has a mental, emotional, and spiritual or energetic aspect. So it makes perfect sense that your emotions and beliefs can reverse disease and create vibrant health.
The most common diseases of aging today—heart disease, arthritis, cancer, dementia, and diabetes—start with chronically high levels of the stress hormone cortisol. Stress and a diet high in refined sugar are the leading causes of the top degenerative diseases that you have been programmed to believe you will succumb to as you age. In addition, education and awareness about any disease can distort your view. If you really want to become educated and aware where your health is concerned, here’s what to you really need to know: The body is a marvelous creation designed by the Creator to be in a continual state of regeneration and repair. If you listen to your body’s messages and heed them, you can very often prevent disease or reverse it long before it becomes established.
So, rather than worrying about your family history and your genes, and then stressing out and spending your time looking for symptoms and having endless tests for the rest of your life, you can actually reverse the aging process by focusing on the causes of health. These include pleasure, exalted emotions, and righteous anger—most of which are not taught in our culture.
Here’s How You Can Grow Older Without Aging
No matter what your age, no one is completely free of health threats. Everyone’s body has cancerous cells and microorganisms that could cause illness if not kept in check. But, despite what you have probably learned, it is actually the fear of those pathogens that will depress your immune system and make it more likely that you will get sick, not the mere presence of them.
When you make choices that strengthen your immune system—such as finding things to feel joyful about, or believing you are not destined to suffer from disease as you age —your body becomes better able to surround, weaken, and kill pathogens.
Here are some of my tips for growing older without aging:
1) Don’t Fear Your Genes! Your genes are just a blueprint, not a destiny. Scientists now know that we have more control over how our genes express than most believe and that gene expression is strongly influenced by beliefs and emotions as well as by your lifestyle choices. In my family, people tend to die of heart disease prematurely. My maternal grandmother died of a heart attack at 68. But, my mother who is 90 says, “That has nothing to do with me.” She is not living under the emotional constrictions that her mother did, and she’s living a healthy, active life.
2) Feel and Express Your Emotions. Exalted emotions – joy, fun, pleasure – change your hormones by increasing DHEA, your life force hormone. So, think of this as a prescription to go have fun and enjoy every minute of your life. Similarly, the worst thing you can do for your health is hold on to anger, fear, and sadness. If you have these feeling, it’s important to feel them fully then release them. When you alleviate emotional stressors you are improving your health and signaling those potentially harmful genes not to express genes for disease.
3) Get A Good Night’s Sleep. Getting enough sleep has amazing health benefits. It’s been shown to lower blood pressure and help you lose weight. Sleep also helps you digest extra stress hormones from your day. One way to help readjust your inner clock is to take melatonin, a naturally occurring substance that promotes deep sleep. Another way to do this is to have what Dr. Lipman calls "an electronic sundown." Turn off all TV's, computers, and blackberries by 10:00 p.m. at the latest.
4) Change Your Beliefs. It’s estimated that 80 percent of all illnesses begin in the mind. Metaphysical healer Edgar Cayce said, “The spirit is the life, the mind is the builder, the physical is the result.” In other words, work with Spirit to design the house (your health) and let your thoughts, beliefs, and emotions serve to build it. You can’t change your genes, but you can change your inherited emotional patterns. Here’s a prayer to inspire you: “Divine Beloved, please change me into someone who completely trusts my body and my genes.”
5) Don’t Fear Your Test Scores. Numbers on a diagnostic test can be helpful indicators of
a condition that needs to be addressed, but don’t give them too much weight that they worry you. Your thoughts and beliefs have a far bigger impact on your health than your medical test scores do. In fact, when a patient is told bad news, it’s often the news itself and the stress hormone reaction to it that hastens the progress of the disease.
6) Know Your Numbers. There are certain tests that truly can assist you in creating better health. Here’s what I recommend: Get a Fasting blood sugar test. Your fasting blood sugar should be no higher than 85 mg/dl. One hour after a meal, your blood sugar should go no higher than 120 mg/ dl. Also test your vitamin D levels. Be sure to get a 25(OH)D blood test (not a 1,25(OH)2D test.) It’s the 25(OH)D that will tell you how much vitamin D is in your blood. This can be done through your doctor or an online lab. Your level should be 40–80 ng/ml—and it will usually take at least 5,000 IU of vitamin D a day to get it there and keep it there. Finally, be sure that your blood pressure is around 120/70, give or take a few points either way.