An Autumn Equinox Ceremony For You To Try At Home
Articles Inspirational articles from Hay House authors
An Autumn Equinox Ceremony For You To Try At HomeGlennie Kindred shares a celebration you can enjoy with friends this equinox
Now day and night are equal in both hemispheres.
We too experience balance and integration as we reconnect to our inner selves. We become aware of the changing season, which gives us the chance to start again. This is a good time to release the past and move forward with clarity as we begin to prepare for the coming Winter and to incubate new seeds within.
This is a time of ripening fruits, nuts, berries, mushrooms and seeds. Trees and plants are letting their energy fall back down into their roots. Leaves are dropping to Earth to make compost, rich in nutrition and goodness, providing the best conditions for future new growth.
This is the time for long-term planning and nurturing. The seeds of ideas and the seeds of hope that we plant now will re-emerge in the Spring, strengthened and consolidated by their time in the dark and stabilized by their strong roots.
It is time to celebrate the power of balance, to move beyond our old habits of polarity, the ‘us and them’ mentality which has led to war, misery and poverty. Now we seek inspiring new ways to bring harmony and equality into our lives and the world.
Traditionally, this is the big harvest party of Summer’s end, a time to celebrate our achievements and give thanks for the Earth’s abundance. The active Earth dragon withdraws and takes the Fire into the dark inner realms, providing strength, courage and wisdom from within.
Autumn Equinox Celebration
• Gather with friends and family to celebrate and give thanks for the abundance of the harvest and honour the completion of the growing season. Bring fruit, seasonal food and drinks to share. This is an opportunity to experience the power of generosity. Ask everyone to bring anything that they have in abundance that they wish to give away. It may be produce, plants, seeds or the fruits of their creativity or hard work.
• Create a beautiful harvest shrine out of the things everyone brings. Share these out at the end or give them to others who would appreciate them.
• Ask everyone to bring something that represents their personal harvest and display these around the harvest shrine. Don’t be afraid to celebrate and share your achievements and personal harvests with each other. Be proud of what you have achieved! This helps others to be able to do the same.
• Give thanks for the abundance of food, friendship and community. Our gratitude opens our hearts and helps the positive flow of Love and joy to shine in our lives.￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼
‘I find my joy in the simple things that come from the Earth.
I find my joy in the Sun that shines and the river that sings to me. So listen to the wind
And listen to the Water
And hear what they say,
Singing, “Hey anana, Hey anana, Hey anana, Hey.” Let me never forget,
Never forget, to give thanks.
Give thanks, give thanks, give thanks and praise.’
Autumn Equinox Ceremony
• Playing drums and percussion and singing a chant, gather together in a circle of community around the central harvest shrine. Light some nightlights in bowls of sand around it and enjoy the sight of your own abundance.
• Open the circle by thanking and acknowledging the Five Elements and the part each one has played in creating the harvest.
• Pass a crystal around the circle and as each person holds it they share with everyone their personal harvest. Begin with ‘I am grateful for...’ and end with a reflection on the seeds inherent in this. Keep circling until everyone feels complete and place the crystal at the centre when everyone has finished.
• Ask everyone to contemplate what they could give back to the Earth. Pass round a bowl of Spring bulbs. Each person chooses a bulb and shares with the group what they have decided to do for the Earth. Later, as this special bulb is planted, at home or in the wild, reinforce the pledge you made today.
• End on a cone of power, as each person lets out whatever sounds, notes or words they wish to make, sending out their Love and commitment to the Earth and themselves. Begin with a whisper and gradually build up the sound until it reaches a peak of connection and energy, then gradually let it die back again to a whisper.
• Close the circle by thanking the elements and each other. Sing the chant again. Share a blessing for the food and drink, then feast and party!