What is Spirituality?
Spirituality has become quite the buzz word over the last decade, and we often hear about spiritual journeys and spiritual practice, but what do the words spiritual and spirituality actually mean?
Spirit comes from the Old French, espirit, and literally means soul, breath, or courage (heartin this context). Spiritual, from the Latin word, spirare, means “to breathe.” Spirituality, then, literally means the condition or quality of being of soul, of breath, or of heart. The simple act of breathing is the purest form of spirituality, and it is in this quiet silence that our souls speak.
“If you’ve ever felt inspired by a purpose or calling, you know the feeling of Spirit working through you. Inspired is our word for in-spirited.” – Dr. Wayne Dyer
Take a few minutes right now to slip into this serene silence. Inhale and exhale fully, letting your thoughts float freely in and out of your mind. Breathe evenly with your eyes closed and relax every muscle in your body. Ahhh…doesn’t that feel magnificent? By breathing, you are “in spirit” and opening the doorway to a spiritual awakening. Besides this wonderful relaxing feeling, what’s spirituality got to do with improving your life?
5 Gifts of Being in Spirit
- Getting in tune with your intuition. You make decisions daily, and some decisions are doozies. When you tap into intuition, you have a direct line to what is important to you, which aids in making better decisions.
- Answering the, “Why am I here?” question. Gain clarity about your purpose by being silent and listening to the wisdom deep within.
- Experiencing greater peace of mind, body and spirit. And really, who wouldn’t want more of that?
- Getting a good night’s sleep…every night.
- Enjoying more meaningful and more loving relationships, including the most important relationship - the one you have with yourself!
One of the greatest gifts of spirituality (being of breath, of soul, of heart) is learning to love and fully accept yourself and others in the present moment.
How To Have A Spiritual Awakening
“The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear” -Rumi
Are you ready for a spiritual awakening? The first step is to commit to a daily spiritual practice. Next, begin your spirit quest by choosing one of the suggested rituals below or come up with your own unique way to connect with your higher self:
- Breathe deeply and slowly for 5 minutes-otherwise called meditation (see more about meditation below)
- Keep a gratitude journal. Each day, be grateful for what you have and record in your journal
- Sit in a comfy spot in silence or listen to music or sounds that soothe you. You can also use a guided meditation if you have trouble quieting your mind.
- Get exercise, paying close attention to your breathing. Yoga is a great spiritual practice as it is nearly impossible to maintain a downward dog pose, breathe evenly and cling tightly to a thought.
- Spend 5 minutes per day reading inspirational or spiritual sayings, quotes, affirmations, or excerpts from your favorite authors, like Dr. Wayne Dyer, Doreen Virtue, Louise Hay, or Denise Linn, for example.
“Breathing is the greatest pleasure in life.” - Giovanni Papini
Bring Out Your Spiritual Side with Meditation
Meditation has become an increasingly popular practice over the past decade as well. Not only has it been shown to decrease stress and anxiety, improve sleep and increase focus, it has also been shown to deepen feelings of love and peace when practiced regularly.
When you feel more loving and more peaceful, you treat yourself and others far better and with more compassion. Meditation, because of the focus on the breath, connects us to the source, to the vastness of our souls, and to the core of our oneness, which rushes in love for ourselves and for others.
“In the world of bodies, we are all separate. In the world of spirit, we are all one.” - Marianne Williamson
You + Spirituality = Love
You are more than you imagine, or could ever imagine. To quote one of the greatest spiritual teachers of our time, Marianne Williamson, “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.” Be brave, travel to the core, embrace the light, and begin your spiritual journey today.
Where To Start
In this enlightening and truly liberating book, New York Times best-selling author Sandra Anne Taylor explores the energy of karma and reincarnation,
You've probably heard of pets who warned their owners of danger just in time, or who protected them from harm. Of dogs who visit their owners' graves and cats who visit from the afterlife to bring com
In this book, gifted medium, intuitive healer, and channel Marisa Moris introduces readers to her bevy of guides. Marisa also shares the story of her spiritual awakening and the steps that h