Simple Ways To Relieve Stress
Heal Your Life Blog
Simple Ways To Relieve Stress
Almost every day I post something on my Facebook page in the hopes that it inspires, informs, challenges, or entertains the wonderful people who have joined me there. Recently I posted this affirmation:
“I honor my sensuality by exploring sights, sounds, scents, and textures that make me feel alive and connected to my body.”
I had been writing all morning with a heating pad wrapped around my shoulders. It felt warm and cozy on a cold morning and I was inspired to share it as an example of the kinds of small actions we could take every day to feel good.
After posting the affirmation, I invited people to share the things they do to honor their sensuality and I loved their ideas so much that I wanted to share some of them with you.
Doing things that bring you pleasure is a great way to build your feel good muscles. Here are some simple, great examples...
- I love to wear a pure silk scarf around my neck.
- I love my morning coffee. I sprinkle it with cinnamon and allow myself quiet time to enjoy it. It smells wonderful and it tastes delicious.
- When I get home from work, I give myself the gift of silence and allow myself to ease into my evening. No TV until after dinner and kitchen cleaned (or at least neatened up). That way, I'm not bombarded with noise or images and can take the time to ponder.
- Sitting next to a roaring fire with a cuddly fleece blanket wrapped around my shoulders.
- I do Pilates, which keeps me in touch with my body, nourishes every part of me, and the endorphins keep me relaxed for the rest of the day.
- I do yoga in my kitchen and use my exercise ball to do backbends.
- I light a tea candle to remind me to pray for others.
- I listen to playlists on my iPod while I exercise and work in the kitchen.
- My fave fave fave is my flannel leopard pajamas. I want to be in those as much as possible. Heaven!
- A hot bath with eucalyptus or lavender oils, a refreshing glass of lemon-water and a good mindless book!
- Painting my toes! Playing around with makeup or my hair, trying different styles.
- I go outside, stand on the grass, and ground myself.
- I watch the fish in my aquarium.
- On Wednesday nights I stop answering the phone after 7 p.m. I toss my bathrobe in the dryer, and then put it on while it's warm, and cuddle on the couch with my pets, a book, or a movie. It's a peaceful break in the middle of the week.
- I love to heat up some vanilla soymilk and add the best dark chocolate I can find. Drinking this makes me feel like Matt Damon is my husband!
- I love brushing my hair with the bristle hairbrush that my daughter gave me ~ it's so soothing.
- I am new to meditation so I bought an app for my iPhone called Mindfulness Meditation. Now when I have 5, 10, or 15 minutes, waiting in the car or lying in bed I can do a guided meditation or relaxation meditation. It has helped me to slow down and be more aware in my life.
- Listen to Hay House Radio while I exercise.
- Swing in my hammock and daydream.
- I love drinking hot tea with a pinch of freshly pounded ginger and fresh lemon grass.
Take Action Challenge
Take a few of these ideas and add them to your life this week. Think outside the box. Bring comfortable slippers to work, make your own playlist of relaxing music for your next massage (trade foot rubs with a friend if you can't yet afford a massage), find the perfect mug to host your tea or coffee, or put a favorite piece of art where you'll see it every day.
Honoring your senses is good self-care and another perfect feel good strategy for your soul.