Unleash Your Creative Muse
Articles Inspirational articles from Hay House authors
Unleash Your Creative MusePossibility is all around you.
In these challenging times, one creative idea can change your life!
Creativity can remove obstacles, help you get a job, make more money, and even have more fun. On a more spiritual level, creativity feeds your soul, and brings wonder into the world.
Kids generally have more fun than adults because they explore the world with their creative curiosity. They access their creativity by igniting their nonthinking imagination.
Remember when you were a child? You saw possibilities everywhere! An old broom could suddenly become a witch’s flying stick, a pony, or a magic wand. Busy adults see that broom as something that merely sweeps dirt.
Have you ever wanted to write a book, design a new line of clothing, or start a new business? Don’t let life hold you back! Here are some ideas to nurture your creative muse:
- Ask: What would Nature do? Nature has over four billion years of research and development. Companies like Mercedes and Boeing use biomimicry, which is the examination of nature to emulate or derive inspiration for solving human problems. Simply observing nature’s abundance of genius can fuel your creativity. Being outdoors gives a change of scenery and good vibes, too!
- Release judgment. In my creativity classes, I ask everyone to quickly draw the person next to them and then give them the drawing. I’d hear nervous laughter and apologizing. Adults are quick to pass judgment about their creations, which is a hose crimp for creativity. Kids, however, proudly display their lackluster drawings as if they were all Picassos.
- Connect-the-dots. After observing a magnetic power cord detach from a bumped Japanese rice cooker that prevented boiling water from spilling, product developers for Apple got a creative idea. They developed a magnetic power cord that easily detaches from the computer. This prevents it from crashing to the floor when the cord is accidentally pulled. What’s being done elsewhere that could help your idea?
- See ordinary things in new ways. When everyone brought cheese to a picnic, but forgot knives, one woman used her charge card to cut the cheese!
- Amuse your inner muse. Playfulness and good energy fill the well of creativity. “Life’s door, love’s door, God’s door—they all open when you’re playful. They all become closed when you become serious,” says philosopher Osho.
- Step outside. The earth actually has a frequency called Schumann waves that have the same frequency as our EEG measured brain waves. That’s one of the reasons why you feel so good in nature. It’s like your reset button!
- Early to bed, early to rise. Kundalini meditation teaches that 4 to 6 am is a magical time because of the sun’s location to the earth. Some people find the early morning quiet time awakens their creative juices.
Creativity is medicine for your soul, and brings fresh ideas into the world. In addition to these ideas, share yours here. What helps you tap into your creativity? When are you most creative? Why? How does it feed your soul? What unleashes your creative genius?